Disasters and emergencies usually happen whenever we least expect them. It can be an earthquake, drought, storm, wildfires or even terrorism, so it’s better to be prepared always. One of the most important things to prepare is food. There are a lot of recommendations for helping the general public to cope with these situations and which is to store canned tuna, canned meat, and other instant foods that last longer. But how about vegans? We know that they have different dietary preferences. Indeed, preparing vegan emergency food can be its own disaster.
During a disaster, cooking might be difficult, so choose the food that doesn’t require refrigeration and minimal to no preparation food like instant food. But the problem with instant food is that it doesn’t fit vegan dietary preferences. So if you’re a vegan looking for a source that would help you build an emergency food list, you’re on the right page. Here’s the vegan emergency food to include in your list.
- Fruits – Apples and oranges are two of the fruits that last longer. Canned fruits are not as healthy as the fresh version
- Vegetables – Of course, you should choose your favorite veggies these might include root veggies and cruciferous veggies. If you’re looking for canned veggies look for the low-sodium option.
- Oatmeal – One-minute oats are more convenient during an emergency.
- Nuts and seeds – Stock up nuts and seeds because they are healthy and essential for energy. Some options for seeds are sesame, sunflower and, chia seeds.
- Crackers – Choose the unsalted crackers, the more salt you have on your body then you’ll get dehydrated. Click here Food for life
- Water – This is an absolute must. Our body needs water more than anything. Water is a must not just for drinking but also for food preparation in case you need it.
This is just a shortlist for vegan emergency food and the best list comes on your own preferences. Each time you got to the grocery store, slowly build up your supplies. Check and replace the items to make sure they are not expired.
To complete your vegan emergency food supply include a knife, can opener and scissors, eating utensils. Include foods for your family members with special needs like children or those with allergies.
Every disaster and emergency scenario varies and the one we imagine might not be the one that will happen, it’s important to have enough at any kind of emergency.
You’re lucky because you’re starting to prepare for the worst. But how about those you weren’t able to do it? Disasters are devastating and emotionally damaging to the victims.
If you’re a vegan with a big heart to help, use Charity Navigator which is a charity watchdog group to find the best charity to donate to. They will help you make wise charitable investments that help feed children and adults in disaster-struck areas. It provides ratings for charities based on the use of funds and other factors.
Even one of the largest international charity organizations in the US like Food for the Poor received Moderate Concern CN Advisory through their food for the poor charity navigator.
Moreover, don’t be afraid of the uncertain future but rather be prepared for it and help through charities and educating people regarding disaster and emergency preparedness! See more at https://ffl.org/